Mountain Adventures!
Day #1 Mountain Blading
I rollerbladed from Frisco to Breckenridge on the Summit County Rec-Path which is about 9.5 miles on a nicely paved pathway with diverse terrain from gradual rolling hills to flat surfaces. When I made it to Breckenridge I was so hungry so I decided to stop to have breakfast at the Columbine Cafe (the best place for breakfast in Breck) and then zipped over to the bus station and rode the free Summit Stage back to Frisco where I rested my body and even got a little homework done. The hot tub was a great way to end the afternoon and then off to dinner at Eric's Downstairs just below where I had breakfast that morning.
Day #2 It's like riding a bike...
I can't remember the last time I rode a bicycle but I'm thinking it was probably high school before I got my driver's license. I've been wanting to get into biking for about 10 months now but I haven't had anyone to go with. Today my friends took me out to a bike shop and I rented a cross-bike. I was actually nervous to get on it but I guess as the saying goes- you never forget how to ride a bike.
After we grabbed an early lunch we took off around Lake Dillon/Swan Lake which is a 19 mile scenic tour on a nicely paved trail until you get to the south east side over by Keystone where you ascend approximately 500-600 vertical feet along side of the road. It felt like we were climbing forever! My little legs worked and worked and worked. Once I learned how to use my gears to my benefit I did a little better, I also took in some chocolate energy goo which I think seemed to help me finish getting to the top (about 2 miles).
The descent was fun (approx. 2 1/2 miles)! I took it easy and estimate I was going only 20 mph while the rest of the group who were more experienced hit closer to 40 mph. It was so much fun and the wind felt good after sweating up a storm to climb to the top. At the bottom we came out next to Breckenridge high school and along the same path I had roller bladed the day before. By now my legs are just jello and I'm having a hard time getting the energy I had at the beginning of the trip. It really made me appreciate what I had done on roller blades because some of these hills were difficult on a bike to get up much less on rollerblades :) What a way to start riding again. In total it took us around 2 hours to complete the trip.
A late lunch and mini-rest before I hit the market to buy the necessities for dinner. The rest of the group took for another ride, this time using their mountain bikes. I used to think that might be fun but after riding the mountain on a paved road I'm not sure I'd like to try a dirt path. They said it was also a beautiful trail along the lake. I, however, stayed home and prepared dinner instead- something I enjoyed while rocking out to the cd player. I made my specialty meal; enchalada's, sweet corn cake, spanish rice and re-fried beans. I also prepped dinner for the next night- meat stuffed shells. Another round with the hot tub, dinner and a bar in Frisco where we played pool and relaxed before calling it a night.
Day #3 Go Cart Racing
No more biking for me! My body was in some pain, but not unbearable. My knees especially hurt from the bike ride. I didn't really like the bike I rented, it was too short length-wise and I felt like I was riding on the front wheel or on a uni-cycle. My gluts and hams hurt too but I just needed to get out and take a run. The mountians are so beautiful here. My friends took off before 8 and I took off for a scenic run down by the lake. It is so nice spending time in the mountains. Summit county is on the list of potential places to look for employment upon graduation. The Breck High School would be ideal!
I saw in the Summit News Paper that Copper Mountain had a special event called Derby Days going on down at the resort so I took off to watch the charity event. It was already sold out so I wasn't able to race but I went early to see if I could be a stand by just in case someone didn't show up. Luckily, a team was missing a teammate and asked me to race with them. But that was short lived as someone else from their company showed up and wanted to race. So I just cheered them on! It was hot and sunny and I got nice and red, and although I was jealous I couldn't race, I had a nice time anyways. They were just afraid I'd kick their butts all over the track ;)
Day #4 Blue River Rafting
Mom called and hooked me up on Friday with a white water rafting tour out of Frisco on the Blue River. It was a perfect morning!!! Clear beautiful blue skies and warm tempatures. My friends went out for early morning road rides then had breakfast and then we headed over to Kodi Rafting's office for our water adventure. It was so awesome!!! I can't wait to go again! The water was about 50 degress but the sky was mid-70's and the scenery is just lush and amazing!
Later after a rest and my friends took off for more mountain biking, I took a hike off of a road side trail overlooking Lake Dillon- it was a beautiful view as well!
It was a perfect weekend in the mountains....I can't wait to move there!
**I apologize I don't have many pictures, my camera died after the first day because I haven't charged it since my Ohio trip.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home